Shortly after the Anglo Boer War (1899 – 1902), the government of the Zuid Afrikaansche Republiek (ZAR) decided to fortify Pretoria in order to protect the capital. The defence plan drawn up by a former French artillery officer and millatary engineer, Leon Grunberg. He identified eight strategic places around Pretoria and suggested that amoured revolving dome towers equipped with heavy artillery, be erected at these places. The eight positions were Klapperskop, Schanskop, Kwaggaspoort, Daspoortrand (West), Magaliesberg West (possibly at Hornsnek or Haartebeeshoek, Wonderboomspoort, Derdepoort and Strubenkop. In doing this, Pretoria would have been turned into virtually impregnable fortified town.
Since this plan could not provide sufficient shelter and accommodation for a large number of soldiers, it was rejected and as an alternative plan of two German engineers, Otto Albert Adolph van Dewitz and Heinrich C. Werner to build forts was accepted. It was decided to build a fort at each of the places referred to, and a building commission under chairmanship of Commandant General Piet Joubert was established to manage the activities.
Owning to a shortage of money only four forts were completed were those at Klapperskop, Schanskop, Daspoortrand and Wonderboompoort.
Fort Wonderboompoort was built by German Krupp firm and was completed on 4 September 1897. The costs of erecting this Fort was 49 000 euros. It had the same type of entrance gateway as Fort Schanskop. Ramparts were erected around the fort to improve defense.